Becoming A Clinical Coach
The Role of the Clinical Coach is to offer the veterinary nursing student support and guidance within the aspect of training which is to take place within the practice. This will be done through.
- The application of the theory which has been delivered by the college
- Delivering or making provision for the delivery of instruction and guidance in practical skills as denoted by the electronic skills log. In turn this will prepare the student in fulfilling the needs of registration following qualification. This should be done in a way which promotes facilitation without creating an environment of dependency.
- Planning achievable goals appropriate to the student’s level of learning. Assessing learners and evaluating competency whilst giving constructive feedback in order to identify and promote progress.
- Facilitating learner reflection on their practice by encouraging self-assessment for the duration of their training.
- Assisting the student in developing skills and confidence so that they may be an effective team member in a practice environment.
As a clinical coach you should ensure:
- You are willing and prepared to undertake the role
- You will act as a positive role model in sharing your knowledge and support learners in their training to best practice.
- You are familiar with both the theoretical training provision schedule, the mandatory requirements of clinical coaching and training centre compliance.
- Specific learning opportunities are identified, and the learning experience is a planned process which takes into account the individual needs of the veterinary nursing student
- Students are observed practising skills under an appropriate level of supervision which satisfies the requirements of schedule 3
- Time is provided for reflection, feedback, monitoring and documenting student’s progress in order that the student may gain further insight in improving future practice.
- Competence is assessed in line with safety and in a way, which will promote patient care
- If at any point there is an un-resolvable dispute between the clinical coach and student concerning any of the coaching and the assessment process, advice should be sought from LSVN. Should they not be able to reach a suitable resolution to the matter the case will then be referred to an RCVS external verifier
It is the personal responsibility of the clinical coach to:
- Ensure that the professional requirement of maintaining MRCVS or RVN status are upheld
- Maintain currency of professional knowledge to include that which pertains to clinical coaching
- Maintain a record of your own clinical coaching involvement and engage in reflection in relation to this role.
- Liaise with others involved in the learners training in order to reach decisions of competency.
- Provide evidence of the decision of learner competency through the electronic skills log
- Adhere to the requirements as set out in the memorandum of agreement between the training provider and the training practice
Booking A Training Course
Clinical coaches can book training via Eventbrite by clicking here.